In 2010 I spent some quality time with one of my bestest friends, Helen. We booked on a baking course at the ICE Institute (The Institute of Culinary Education) which is located on West 23rd Street in Manhattan, New York, and we baked up a storm. There’s one recipe that we made on the day which I still make at home, I just alternate between using Raspberries and Blueberries.
This recipe is taken from Nick Malgieri’s baking classes and never disappoints.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
1 stick or 113 grams of softened, unsalted butter.
1 1/4 cups or 160 grams of caster sugar.
1/2 teaspoon of salt.
2 large eggs.
1/2 cup or 6 oz of buttermilk or milk.
2 cups or 256 grams of all purpose flour.
2 teaspoons of baking powder.
1 large punnet of Blueberries.
12 muffin cases (or large cupcake cases)
- Set the oven to 190.
- Cream together the butter, sugar and salt in a mixer. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, until smooth.
- Mix in to the mixture the flour and baking powder and then the milk.
- Crush about 1/3 of the punnet and stir into the mixture and fold in the remaining full berries.
- Divide the mixture between 9 muffin cases or 12 large cupcake cases.
- Sprinkle the tops with sugar and then bake for 25 – 30 minutes until well risen and golden.
Think big and reach for the stars,